Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The New Characteristics of the Tao

I read the Tao Te Ting alot in my year on the ice in Antarctica. The clincher for me is the last poem. It basically acknowledges the big problem trends cannot be avoided unless we 1) avoid symbolic analysis 2) avoid travel/mobility.

So in 1996, at the end of my 13 months in Antarctica, I committed TO mobility and symbolic analysis, which has further mushroomed into my full embrace of digital technology as the cure for social ills. The essence is I saw the Tao as stating an untenable path. Plus I was in the first years of extreme mobility after a lifetime spent bound by localism fetish in Arkansas. I associated localism with a lack of intellect and ability, only those lacking talent tended to stay in Arkansas.

Mobility and symbolic intellectualism are my Tao.

Project Gutenberg Tao

No comments: