Saturday, March 28, 2009

Adaptation to New Economy

If the world is switching to more austerity, I believe we will still have consumerism -a much more sensible consumerism.

In the photo is my form of sensible consumerism, and I'm darn proud of it. I just purchased this vintage (1980's) Schwinn road bike. I found it on Craigslist. The guy who sold it to me refurbishes the old bikes and then resells them. He has a shop for his bike work at ActiveSpace. The guy lives a few blocks from his ActiveSpace shop, and a few blocks from me. I bought the Trek trailer to take my son to the beach this summer, and for towing loads of groceries home from Fred Meyer. The beach, and Fred Meyer, are all on a bike trail that runs in front of my apartment.

The bike was $160, the trailer $75. The bike works perfectly and is high performance enough for my needs. It is our family's only transportation vehicle besides riding the city bus or rarely renting a Flexcar.

I am not trying to save the planet, rather I am successfully adapting to a changing planet. This transportation choice isn't answering a moral imperative, it is providing a technical solution.

I'm going to have fun in this Depression.

No comments: